Wednesday 21 October 2015

Favourite Characters

This post may be too general but I want to talk about characters I really appreciate.

I'll pick a character from TV series, one from animes, one from cartoons and one from videogames. 

I am a huge fan of animation (cartoons, animes, animated movies etc) and I admire the amount of time spent to realize it. One of my favourite animes is Hunter x Hunter. The story is very appealing and deep such as the characters. 
One of the characters I find interesting is Killua Zoldyck:


White-haired young characters are so aesthetically pleasing (lots of character I like are white-haired). Killua is a young assassin coming from a family of mercenaries. He seeks more from his "boring" life so he takes the "Hunter Exam" to become an Hunter (a well-paid, worldly recognised figure who can "hunt" treasures, creatures, people) and have some fun. He is a laid-back, annoyed kid who never had any friends (because of his family) and when he finally meets one, his character grows in a way that could be negative. The thing is, you should expect him to be a "bad guy" being an assassin and all, but he never wanted to be one and he really tries to be a better person. That's another reason of why I do like him! 
_________________________________________________________________________________

TV series characters can be SO well done! I have a bunch of characters I really enjoy from TV series like The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The 100, Heroes, Faking it, etc. Multi-faced people is intriguing, I usually try to avoid characters that are just good or bad; it isn't realistic. Everyone has a light and dark side, it's nice when you step out and look at the character in its whole. 

I could talk about Carol Peletier from The Walking Dead:



I LOVE how the character grows during the seasons! People change with time and events, that's the thing. She transited from being a weak, used and introverted woman to a strong, independent character capable of doing anything. Of course, this new side comes with negative effects too, but that's why she's interesting: she's not perfect. 
(I could quote other characters from the same show, such as Rick Grimes and Daryl Dixon, who both grow and change so much!) 

_________________________________________________________________________________

I don't watch many cartoons, but I recently started to follow some of them! My favourite ones are Bridge over the Garden Wall, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Avatar: The Last Airbender - and its sequel Legend of Korra.
There are tons of positive things to say regarding these cartoons, but I'll stick with just talking about one of them. 

The most aesthetically pleasing, for me, it's surely Legend of Korra. That cartoon is very complex and intriguing!
The character I really want to focus on is Korra (the main character) 



As I said earlier, I love when characters grow emotionally and mentally. Korra is a blatant example of character growth. But, in contrast to Carol, her growth is from a loud, egocentric, physically strong woman to a mentally strong, quieter person who can sacrifice herself for the well-being of others. Of course Korra is still Korra (she can be a nuisance, and being upset about stuff) but if you follow her through the seasons, you can see how much she changes.  

_________________________________________________________________________________

There are so many characters I love from videogames! Let me start saying that, particularly in games, I prefer characters who are engaging. The games I play are mostly from Nintendo DS (and are graphic novels). With this type of games, the story is essential because graphic isn't the most important part of the work. So they are usually well structured. My favourite titles are Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk and 999. These 4 games are very addicting and complex, a must-play if you are into these kind of things. I recently played a PC game called Life is Strange. I want to talk about that game and its character(s). 

This game is TOTALLY incredible. Not only the characters, the whole design is amazing. The best game I played in years, surely. 


The backgrounds are astounding, and the attention to details is amazing. I just have positive feedback for this incredible work. Anyway, beside that, the characters are on point.

Characters do not have just to "grow" to be interesting: if they are constant but well-shaped it's fine too. The main character of the game, Max Caufield, is just a normal geek girl who likes to take selfies and would like to become a photographer. Lots of people can see themselves looking at her, this helped people to create a connection. 



Okay, these are the characters I wanted to talk about. I'll update the blog as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment